Thursday, August 7, 2008

Test Drive: A Cautionary Tale

I would be the perfect infomercial sucker if it weren't for the very practical adages buried deep in the recesses of my brain. You know the ones: "You can't get something for nothing" and "Too good to be true". If it weren't for this skepticism we would be the proud owners of a set of Japanese steak knives that can cut through an aluminum can (when one might need a can sliced, I don't know), then perfectly slice a tomato, those green bags that help your fruit and veggies stay fresh longer, and the amazing steam mop.

Of all the the informercial offerings I have coveted, the electric sweeper that is multi-directional, battery powered and picks up both large AND small objects (believe it or not there are alot of those scattered about our place) is the one I long for most. Low and behold our local super store has them on sale!! For only $35.99!!

You think you see where this is going now don't you? Melinda purchases amazing electric sweeper and it falls apart in her hands. Oh no. That would be obvious. And cheaper.

My mother-in-law purchased one. I don't think the adages about getting what you pay for, etc. reside in the deep recesses of her brain. Now, I get a FREE test drive of the much longed for sweeper at my mother-in-laws place! Happily I plug in the battery and begin to power around the kitchen, the den, hardwood floor, rugs, etc. It works nicely. Gets up the crumbs from the under the table where the kids are eating, gobbles up the little bits of paper and lint that rugs draw like magnets. Everything is going well. Until I attempt to empty the dirt cup.

Did you know that location is an important thing to consider when emptying a dirt cup. Especially if you just grab the bottom of the sweeper, and inadvertently raise the handle to, oh say, ceiling fan height? Did you know that a ceiling fan made to look like a log in the center with fan blades attached by incredibly thin fake twigs is fragile? Especially when hit by a sweeper handle. Especially when it's moving? Did you know that it would have been cheaper for me to buy the sweeper than it will be to replace a fan blade on a discontinued fan?

9 comments:

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Oh dear.

But your tag to this post? Hilarious.

M said...

Eeek.

Hate that.

Stomper Girl said...

Where's the video footage when you need it?

Anonymous said...

ooops. Did you laugh at the time?

(or did you think, I'm going to blog this later?)

Anonymous said...

Oh NO. Funny but not. You know what I mean?

Team SAK said...

I also thought housework would cause problems. So - are you going to buy a sweeper after paying off the fan replacement?

Mary said...

Your tag IS hilarious.

Your comment about the tooth fairy living in Margot's tummy made us all laugh.

I THINK you seem to be able to see the funny side of this!

caramaena said...

Uh oh...

crafty said...

Oh Dear!!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

count