Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ring, Ring Goes the Cell Phone

Should you answer it?

It depends.

If you are in the check-out line at the grocery store, dress shop or book place.... NO!

Charging through traffic on a six-lane expressway.... NO!

In the car with your kids.... NO!

Pulling through the drive thru at McDonald's.... NO!

Halfway through the a film at the movie theater.... NO!

Last week I was shipping a package at the UPS store. A small sign sits on the counter that says: "If you are talking on your phone when it is your turn to be waited upon, we will move to the next customer in line."

Bravo UPS! What's so important that you can't be polite and attentive to people around you? Surely the gossip, which is mostly what I overhear people talking about on their cell phones, can wait.

Isn't it frustrating to have to wait while someone finishes what usually amounts to a frivolous conversation.... just so the check-out person can ring them up? Isn't it annoying to hear a teenager drop the f-bomb over the phone in the milk aisle? Isn't it disgusting to watch a cell talker ignore the wait staff while they laugh loudly at their friend's jokes?

Isn't it rude?

6 comments:

Mary said...

I agree with every

single

sentence

of this post!

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Couldn't agree more.

I was at a pilates class at the gym a few weeks ago, when the phone of the woman on the mat next to me rang. I expected her to dive up and quickly silence it...but oh no, she proceeded to answer the phone and have a protracted and heated work-type of discussion IN THE MIDDLE OF A PILATES CLASS. At the end of the class she was straight back onto her phone. I felt sorry for her. Fancy thinking you're so important that you have to be contactable even during a class at the gym.

Stomper Girl said...

Yeah! And Fairlie's pilates instructor should have kicked that woman out of the class so it wasn't ruined for everyone else.

Anonymous said...

BUT... what if you're a super important type and your whole world will end if you ignore the phone?

(I'm secretly certain that it is always their mum checking if they can pick up some more milk on the way home)

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes.
See Meg Ryan for more.

Emma-Kate Castricum said...

I am so in agreement with you. It's the height of rudeness to speak on your mobile in front of others in stores etc. As for in a movie cinema, I think I'd want to get up and physically slap someone if they answered their phone during a film.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one, sometimes I think I'm turning into a grump but what where did common manners go?

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

count