Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fall

And I don't just mean the season. I feel a bit like Alice down the rabbit hole lately. Chasing reality.

J.T. has come home with some interesting homework assignments lately. One of which was to write massive numbers (58,784,232,085) in expanded form using exponents. I had to google it. It took forever and frankly I'm not sure I understand it yet. I may never understand the purpose of it. The ridiculous demands of our current school curriculum are driving me crazy. Normally I'm not a one of those who worries excessively about the future, but if all we are focusing on dumb things that have no real life application, will we be surprised when the ability to think outside the box and be creative wanes?

I've just realized that this is J.T.'s last year of elementary school. My oldest child will be in middle school next year. He's still very much a "kid" to me. He looks like a kid, has a pile of lego and action figures under his bed and has to be reminded to brush his teeth, but the tween years loom. He needs deodorant now (and yes I have to remind him about that too). For now, he's on the fence about Santa, but has figured out the tooth fairy. He WANTS to believe in the jolly guy from the North Pole, is clinging to it, but has grave doubts. His confidence is growing. Last night, he won 3rd place in the Halloween costume contest at the park with his take on Scarecrow from the Batman movies. He and Rob, who gets all the credit for costume design, were thrilled.

Abby was less than thrilled. "You said this was just for fun," she said, lady bug arms crossed and one black ladybug foot tapping impatiently. If HER confidence grows anymore, we're in trouble. As J.T. put it: "I'm thinking about making a comic strip about our family. Abby, the unstoppable force, meets the immovable object, Dad watching football."

5 comments:

Mary said...

Melinda - good luck with the tweens - Joe going through them now and whilst it is mostly OK when it is bad it is BAD.

Love the word picture of little Abby ladybug.

x

Stomper Girl said...

We have only one more year of primary school too, and I can't believe that we'll be sending such tiny young babies off to deal with all the trauma of high school. My Climber is quite mature in lots of ways but like your J.T. he has lego in the bed and needs reminding to brush his teeth. No deodorant yet though!

Aunty Evil said...

Nice to see you posting again! :)

Alison said...

That maths problem is just ridiculous...

As Miss Whoever said: "Math should be left out of the equation."

rex said...

Your son sounds about where my 10 year old boy is too. His Lego and action men sit dusty under the bed, but not ready to let go just yet and neither am I. Lovely post.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

count